Monday, June 30, 2014

Horses & Happiness; Equine Therapy and Recovery

Our last equine event was one of my most memorable professional experiences.  Witnessing the courage of working through trauma, anxiety, and self-criticism or judgement in such a safe way was a great gift (and by that I mean a gift for me!).  It made me realize some of the limitations of regular talk therapy because the experiential component is missing.  Building trust between human and horse while simultaneously building a sense of agency was different to watch out there in the world versus working through it in session.  This is not to say that psychotherapy is ineffective,  because it isn't.  There is a relationship there that is quite unique and facilitates growth in it's own way; this was just different.  So, that being said, I hope to offer this group monthly (more if there is enough demand).  Right now our next group is on July 30th at 10am.  Our website is www.traumacenternw.com.  Contact us if you are interested :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hello, While I welcome your comments, in order to maintain client privacy, I ask that all comments be anonymous. Thank you.