Monday, June 30, 2014

Survey: What would you want your physician to know (or not know) about your mental health?

In preparation for a presentation to a group of physicians in August on the topic of mental health in a primary care setting, the wheels have started turning on what the "patient" perspective might be.  There is a significant push towards coordination of care between disciplines, which clearly is beneficial in many ways. From my perspective, coordination of care can mean advocating for sensitivity and communication during medical appointments.  Clients reflect a reluctance to go to the doctor because of mental health concerns.  One might feel judged because of a struggle with addiction, because depression makes it difficult to get to the doctor or even make an appointment, or trauma makes doctor or dental visits frightening, for example.  I realized that as I prepare, I too may be making assumptions about how medicine is experienced by those who are struggling with mental health. So....

I propose a question: What are some things you would like to share with your physician but don't out of fear or in effort of showing respect (or something else)? What are things you hide from your physician? What would help you be more transparent in a medical setting?

If you respond, please leave out identifying information.

If you don't respond, it's okay!



3 comments:

  1. Going to the doctor now scares me. Some doctors do not understand how to deal with people with mental health issues. Since they are uncomfortable too- they tend to question everything you say and withdraw emotionally. If you get into a crisis of any sort and share they will over react, partially due to liability. Thus sharing is difficult too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am very forthcoming with my doctors with both my diagnoses and any current issues I may be experiencing related to that. Some doctors will stop listening to you as soon as you tell them you have a disorder. Others will blame those disorders when they can't find a medical reason for you current issue. I understand that this may be warranted in several situations, but fever is not caused by anxiety. In a crisis situation they tend to overreact and err on the side of caution. If doctors were more educated on mental illness it would help immeasurably.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt judged because of the anti-anxiety and sleep meds I was taking. Doctors did not feel they were healthy and this caused anxiety. Doctors, like endocrinologists and even psychiatrists do not recognize the biological causes of anxiety and depression such as a thyroid problem. Also, anxiety, stress, and depression can cause biological issues such as metabolic issues and thyroid concerns putting you into a vicious cycle which doctors do not recognize.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, While I welcome your comments, in order to maintain client privacy, I ask that all comments be anonymous. Thank you.