Saturday, February 25, 2012

Trusting in Self & Perception

So many of people I have worked with both and without trauma often share that they don't trust what they  have experienced to have been accurately perceived.  There is this sense that it (whatever it is ) didn't really happen the way it is remembered or that perceived motivations in others for their boundary violation probably isn't right.  If there aren't distinctive memories about the past but a feeling that either the absence of memory means something or that an event(s) happened that can't be recalled, then distrust in self and reality seems to be even stronger.  Some of the ways this can effect us in the present might be that because we don't trust our own perception, our boundaries can be a little softer, opening up room for more injury from others.  Sometimes there is a mistrust in what is happening in the moment and thus we don't feel strong enough internally to make a statement to someone that our boundary has been violated.  There can be an array of reasons for struggling to put limits around self, but one of them might be that there isn't enough internal trust to foster the assumption that one is worthy of limit setting.  Essentially, I wonder if establishing trust in perception and in self would foster a comfort with asserting what is seen, noticed, and responding to it with clarity.

1 comment:

  1. Yes. For myself, I could not trust my own self or perceptions because I blocked out all the abuse. That was a good portion of time there. And while necessary at the time, I was not able to use these valuable lessons to make sure the abuse (from my abuser or anyone) was repeated in the present. The more I am remembering, the more I able to protect myself from others.

    ReplyDelete

Hello, While I welcome your comments, in order to maintain client privacy, I ask that all comments be anonymous. Thank you.